Tuesday, April 27, 2004

A POEM A DAY. It is Poetry Month. I apologize for my lack of cognizance. I like poetry. Well, I like real poetry. So, let us have poetry. Today's poem is by William Carlos Williams. He was a physician, but do not hold it against him. Everyone has to make a living and not everyone is called to the law. This poem is called "This Is Just To Say".

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I think I like this poem because it captures the essence of being caught giving in to a pleasurable moment you do not deserve, but cannot quite bring your self to feel truly guilty about. Such as when you skip class because the spring day is truly magnificient, with a blue sky and yellow sun and warm breeze.

I stood today on top the parking garage, looking at the sky. The air was clean and clear from rain the day before. The breeze was light and cool. It was hard to go inside. I stayed the extra moment, drinking it in. The one minute vacation is not everything, but it is something.

No comments: