Monday, April 18, 2005

CAPTIVE TO THE WORD OF GOD. It was today's date in 1521 that Martin Luther appeared in the city of Worms at the summons of Charles V, whom the Pope had named Holy Roman emperor. Luther gave his famous reply: "Since your majesty and your lordship desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of popes and councils for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen."

Some say Luther launched the Reformation with this statement. It is a worthy goal to be captive to the Word of God. I recently had the interesting experience of teaching the plain words of scripture and having people tell me they were exempt from its application.

If we want to become Christlike, we must let the weight of scripture fall on us squarely, not wriggling out from under it, no matter how uncomfortable. No one is exempt.

As Paul told Timothy, all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sola Scriptura ;-) good word today sir. just got in from work, time to shower and study. not at the same time. haha. have a blessed day.

I enjoyed your class on Sunday. I think next Sunday will be the last time i get to go though. Our Church is finally going to Sunday mornings. You should come out to ours sometime.

-Levi