Thursday, July 14, 2005

AND NOW, THE GOOD NEWS. On a lighter note ;) an article in this week’s edition of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association says dieting does not work. I can’t tell you how glad I am to read this.

The study found greater improvements in the health of women who do not diet. I am just sure it applies to men, too.

Here is the money quote: "You can make significant improvements in both metabolic and psychological health without ever stepping on the scales or counting calories. You can relax about food and eat what you want." This was said by the lead researcher, Linda Bacon of the University of California, Davis.

One reason is the old rebound factor. No, I don’t mean finding a new girl after yours dumped you. The study showed that dieters regain almost all their weight in two years, while non-dieters remained stable. (Fat, but stable?) Many studies have shown that dieting virtually always fails in the long-term. This is true from 90 to 95% of the time. This study also showed nearly 200% more bulimia and eating disorders among the dieters compared to the nondieters. The dieters' self esteem and depression significantly worsened. It is the old sense of failure.

So, forgive me, I must stop blogging now.

I’m going out for ice cream.

No comments: