Saturday, September 24, 2005

While everyone else was fleeing South Texas, we were going in. On Thursday, we loaded the Little Woman's car and headed for College Station, the Mother Ship of Aggies. The College Daughter was set to receive her senior ring.

If you know us, you know the Little Woman is the adventurer. She was determined to make this trip and nothing as insignificant as a Category 5 hurricane could stop her. So, off we went.

As we drove south from Waco on Highwayy 6, there was an ever increasing stream of cars going north. I wondered what they thought, seeing us as one of the 5 cars going south.

We arrived Aggieland to 107 degree heat, checked into an oddly vacant Hilton Hotel, picked up some maroon and white flowers we had ordered, picked up the Baby and her roommate, and found the College Girl.

We got the ring, took pictures, and the Little Woman cried. The ring is really beautiful.

I think I'll have it paid off in 2010.

We ate dinner at the Little Woman's favorite place, Texas Road House, and went to the football game. I met a young man who is stationed with the Marines at the Naval Air Station. He was going back after the game, around midnight, and I asked him to call me about the traffic. I was planning on taking a route back through some smaller roads I remembered from college, as he was.

Well, he called me at 5:30 the next morning and said not to go that way. It had taken him 5 hours to make it to Waco. So, we took the regular route. Miraculously, the traffic was not bad. I guess the evacuees had already gone past, and the rest were stuck on I-45. It took us about an hour longer than usualy, but we made the trip back in four hours. Thanks Chris, for calling.

So, of course, the Little Woman feels totally vindicated in her optimism.

Really, the fact is, she lives a charmed life. If I had made the trip alone, I would have been caught in traffic and ridden out the storm in my car, treading water on the side of the road.

However, once again, the Little Woman proved how boring my life was and is without her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was her comment so bad taht you had to "remove" it...she said a dirty word didn't she? I bet she said "40 days of community." maybe she said, Rick Warren!!! i'm just speculating. well hope you're having a great day. ttyl larry.

ev Xpistos,


me.