Monday, August 20, 2007

CHILDREN ARE A GIFT FROM THE LORD

I fellow at work today told me about a friend of his daughter, whose parents were divorced. This teenager has not seen her father in 10 years. I read once that 90% of divorced fathers never see their children after the first 12 months from the divorce.

I cannot imagine how a father can walk away from his children this way. The Baby left for the next year of college yesterday. I feel like I have a hole in my heart. Summer is just long enough for me to get used to having this delightful child back in the house, then, poof, it is over.

My other two daughters are out of state, and I think of them constantly, saying little prayers for their physical and moral safety and their spiritual growth. I think often about them as little girls, laughing and playing, tying to get my jokes, laying their heads on my shoulder after a long day, all those great moments that make me laugh and tear up at the same time.

Gifts are to be enjoyed and cherished, not neglected.

No comments: