Tuesday, July 29, 2008

MAINTAINING FRIENDSHIPS

From www.daddypundit.blogspot.com:
The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided. Casey Stengel (for young people, he used to be the manager of the New York Mets baseball team)

That, actually, is how I have to manage my friendships. I try to keep those who don't know me too well away from those who do. It makes the friendships last longer.

It reminds me of a conversation I tried to have last week. I was trying to talk to a tall guy (I am not). In mid sentence (mine), he looked over my head to someone else and asked them how their running was going, and they began a conversation about running OVER MY HEAD! Isn't there a manners book for tall people somewhere?

Then, just to pile on. The Little Woman sang with her group, Sound Foundation, Sunday night at church. I came and sat close to the front, by myself. After the concert, I came up to the group to tell them how well they did, and the tenor (never trust a tenor) said "I see you sat with all your friends".

It is a good thing I have high self esteem. Otherwise, I would think all of this indicates some problem on my part.

And I would hate that.

No comments: