Thursday, July 31, 2014

Love Not Sleep - Proverbs 20:13

It was funny to read Proverbs 20:13 this morning (love not sleep lest you come to poverty) since I woke up at 4:30. My mind immediately began racing through all the things I must do today, and the problems I see ahead. That feeling of worry and being overwhelmed began to gnaw at me.

But I remembered what I call the Ernie Beshear Principle. Ernie told me once that when he woke up early, he decided the Lord woke him up to talk to him. So, he prayed until he either went back to sleep or it was time to get up.

I prayed today for those whose needs I know, for our church, our pastor, my family and myself. I got up and read the scriptures for today. Romans 14:17 reminded me that "the kingdom of God is a matter of...righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit". And the Holy Spirit reminded me that I live in the Kingdom of God. I am just passing through this earth.

I may not have all the sleep I want today, but I will not have poverty of spirit. Thank you, Father.

No comments: