Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The "I Am" Sayings of Jesus

The Seven "I Am" Statements of Jesus

Bread of life. John 6:48
Light of the world. John 8:12
The door. John 10:9
The good shepherd. John 10:11
The resurrection and the life. John 11:25
The way, the truth and the life. John 14:6
The true vine. John 15:1

Jesus did not always reveal his divine identity by saying "I am God in the flesh". Instead, he revealed himself by his actions. He forgave sins. (Mark 2:5) Only God can do that. He said he was Lord of the Sabbath. (John 6:22-59) Since God ordained the Sabbath, his claim is to be God.
 
In the "I am" statements, the phrase in Greek is "ego emi". It emphasizes the speaker. It is not necessary to add "ego" to say "I am". It is like saying "I, I myself am". Interestingly, the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Old Testament) used the same words for God's statement in Exodus 3:14, "I am who I am". By making this statement, Jesus claimed to be deity.



No comments: