Wednesday, May 07, 2008

CONSOLING THOUGHTS FROM CALVIN

There are days I think there is no way the SBC can survive. Today I read this from Calvin. If he can be optimisticly faithful, surely I can. No one has tried to kill me yet. It is from his Commentary on Micah 4:6-7.

Micah 4:6, 7 reads: "6. In that day, saith the Lord, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that I have afflicted: "7. And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast off a strong nation; and the Lord shall reign over them in Mount Zion from henceforth even forever."

Commenting on verse 6, Calvin says:

"Although the Church is at the present time hardly to be distinguished from a dead, or at best a sick, man, there is no reason for despair; for the Lord raises up His own suddenly, as He waked the dead from the grave. This we must clearly remember lest, when the Church fails to shine forth, we conclude too quickly that her light has died utterly away. But the Church in the world is so preserved that she rises suddenly from the dead. Her very preservation through the years is due to a succession of such miracles. Let us cling to the remembrance that she is not without her resurrection, or rather, not without her many resurrections."

No comments: