Thursday, July 06, 2017

THE DOXOLOGY



When I was a kid in the early ‘60s, I attended First Baptist Church Small Town. Most every service began with the words “Please stand for the singing of the Doxology”. We never used the hymnal for it because everybody knew it. 

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. 
Amen.

These words were written in 1674 by Anglican Bishop Thomas Ken.  It actually was the final verse of three hymns he wrote for students to sing in the morning and night as devotions. I did not know that at the time.

I have to admit I did not understand the song then. “Praise” was a word confined to hymns. It held no personal meaning for me.

But years later, we sang it in my big city church and I paid attention to the words. What a wonderful way to start a service, praising the Triune God. When we sing it, we acknowledge God as the source of all our blessings, as worthy of praise from all creation, earth and heaven. We confess our belief in the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Ghost\Spirit.

It is also simply a great way to praise the Lord when you want to or when you cannot think of something to say. I confess that I often sing it in the car on the way to work when I am watching the sun come up over the city.

Singing any song frequently can result in our singing without engaging. But it does not have to be that way. Sing it to the Lord intentionally, to praise him. He will be pleased.

And I think you will feel his pleasure.

No comments: