Thursday, April 01, 2004

DON'T THESE PEOPLE HAVE HOMES? Well, it has finally happened. I took the Baby to the Department of Public Safety yesterday to take her written test. She made "100". Chip off the old block. So now she has a learner's permit. Under the new law, she cannot get her license until September, which seems like a really long time. Now we must practice driving. Think of all the money I will save on amusement park rides.

Actually, all the driving instruction for the Oldest and the College Girl were relatively uneventful. The Little Woman cannot take it, so I do the practice driving. The girls have done really well and I expect the Baby to do the same. The Saturn is in the garage waiting. It took the Baby all of 15 minutes to start talking about "her" car.

Freedom of movement is a wonderful thing. To be able to go where you want, when you want, is something we take for granted, but such a joy. At least here in Cowtown, we do not wait for trains for buses, we drive. We go. We go alot. Sometimes, when I am driving with the Little Woman, I look at all the people on the road and say "don't these people have homes?" She just looks at me and smiles. I always translate that look as admiration and affection. You know "isn't he witty" or "I just love his insightful comments".

But I never ask.

No comments: