Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Some time back, I sent an e-mail to Colorado governor Bill Owens, commending him on his refusal to meet with the French General Consul while the French were opposing us in the U.N. Governor Owens was gracious enough to reply by e-mail. Here is his reply.

Dear L. Thompson:

Thank you for your recent note and for your support of my decision to refuse to meet with the French Consul General, who had sought a meeting with me at my office in Denver.

I declined the French Consul's request because, had I held a "business-as-usual" meeting, I would have condoned the excessive and over-the-top behavior of the French government in opposing America's efforts to liberate Iraq. I believe the French have taken this disagreement well beyond the level of a difference of opinion and have sought to orchestrate a campaign against America. Indeed, given my profound disagreement not only with the French position on Iraq but with the inappropriate way they have expressed that disagreement, having a meeting with a representative of the
French government would have been hypocritical.

As you know, this conduct is really nothing new for the French. It is reminiscent of the 1930s and 1940s when an American President and a British Prime Minister worked together to confront fascism while the French sought to negotiate with Hitler.

It is important at this time to stand behind our President and the great victory being won by our troops and send the strongest possible signal to France that we oppose their aggressive, anti-American efforts.

I enclose a copy of my letter to the French Consul for your reference.

Again, thanks for writing and for your support.

Sincerely,

Bill Owens

I was impressed that a Governor would take the time to respond and explain his position. I agree with it, by the way, that the French have gone beyond disagreement to active opposition of U. S. policy. That is why I am on the French boycott. Anyway, the Governor is obviously a good man with a conscience and not to big to communicate with the little guy.

No comments: