Wednesday, March 09, 2005

THE SPIRIT OF AGGIELAND. There is just something different about Aggies that makes me smile. I received my newsletter from the Class of '74 yesterday. That sounds like the Dark Ages to young people, doesn't it? The newsletter has a prayer corner, where former students list prayer requests. How many secular universities sport a prayer corner in their alumni magazine? It was also recently rated the most conservative university politically. An example the College Daughter related recently bears this out. A few professors (people my age who still think every war is Vietnam in a sort of permanent flashback) refused to teach their classes and conducted an old school sit in on the lawn. I guess it should be a sit out since they were missing class. How did the students react? They heckled the professors and told them to get back to class. Gotta love it.

P.S. - my favorite small college is still Oklahoma Baptist University, alma mater of the Oldest, and the only hallowed ground in Oklahoma. Go Bisons!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we need something to balance out UT, our own little piece of Blue-state America right here in Texas.

Larry Thompson said...

Mel, thanks for dropping by. I have taken to calling Austin the cereal city. As an Oklahoma State alumni, you can appreciate the difference between the two schools.