Monday, April 18, 2005

NOTES ON THE SABBATH. "But we must not mistake the means for the end. We must not think that the Sabbath is just, for the sake of being able to attend meetings. There are some people who think they must spend the whole day at meetings or private devotions. The result is that at nightfall they are tired out and the day has brought them no rest. The number of church services attended ought to be measured by the person’s ability to enjoy them and get good from them, without being wearied. Attending meetings is not the only way to observe the Sabbath. The Israelites were commanded to keep it in their dwellings as well as in holy convocation. The home, that center of so great influence over the life and character of the people, ought to be made the scene of true Sabbath observance" D. L. Moody

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a quote I thought I'd never see from Mr. "Every Time The Doors Are Open" :-)

Larry Thompson said...

Mel,

Isn't it the truth! However, I am researching the issue because I think it might come up Sunday in the lesson. I intend to post some quotes from various theologians on the issue. I'm not ready to worship on the golf course, but I hope to come up with a consistent theology of the Sabbath. There is a wide variety of interpretation out there. Thanks for reading!